Pirate Radio 
Site Admin

Post Pirate Radio
I have mixed feelings on piracy. Mostly because there are so many different types. Software piracy, for instance, I think isn't very good at all. Not only is software hard and expensive to develop, but because piracy encourages the use of those software products that are priced outside the means of the user, rather than encouraging Free and Open Source projects. Granted, I support FOSS more because I think "libre" is the best way to develop quality, meaningful code, and that it must be distributed "gratis" is a somewhat unfortunate side effect (I dare you to go give $5 to your favorite FOSS project). Regardless, when pirated software is used instead of open source software, the FOSS community suffers and the Microsofts win.

Pirating movies and music is about as bad. You are listening to and supporting the brittany spears of the world instead of buying "Do you want to date my avatar" for 99 cents off amazon. Who do you think deserves the publicity and support?

Not to mention that all of these are illegal. Now I'm not saying that all laws are just or that every law on the books should be followed or enforce. But at the end of the day you are using someone's intellectual property (if anyone has produced intellectual property (software, music, etc) you know how much tangible work goes into IP) without their permission or reimbursement. And that doesn't create a whole lot of incentive to keep producing.

Granted, in today's market most of this IP is overpriced. I will go to a dollar theater a month later instead of spending $14 to see it in the first week. (And that the dollar theater can stay open and is of relatively good quality gives some indication of the portion of that $14 that is IP: ~ $12 per ticket). That is just a business model. A popular local artist that gives away his music online but plays to packed houses probably isn't doing too poorly. It is just a different business model.

The other definition of piracy, as demonstrated in Pirate Radio, is fighting for the rights of the people against the government's desires in the gray areas of the law. And to that I say: Huzzah!

PS: It was a great movie and if you haven't seen it, you should. And then buy it instead of pirating it, because the actors deserve the credit.

Ubuntu/Win7 January 2010:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.6GHz (from 3.2GHz)
ASUS 790X Mobo @ 2000MHz HT
G.Skill 2x2GiB DDR3 @ 9-9-9-24 1600MHz
BFG GTX 260 core 216 896MiB
Corsair 750tx 750W PSU

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:41 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: Pirate Radio
The ashley abridged version. OMG so good. You must see it. The characters are amazing, plot is wonderful and it has people from the IT crowd in it.

Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:17 am