New Laptop 
Site Admin

Post New Laptop
I am the proud owner of a new 13 inch macbook pro! While I was disappointed with the results of the last refresh, especially with this model, getting the Core 2 Duo and Nvidia 320M made a lot of sense. First of all, I was going to get a mac no matter what. My laptops all have a life after death with my parents, and it was a gift from them in the first place. Second, the thirteen inch was the right size for me. And third, I have no faith that Nvidia would put out adequate video drivers for an Apple-modified version of Optimus (their GPU switching technologies) for linux, so this way I can run linux if I want to. Plus the 1/2 of a 15 inch price tag and 10 hour battery life don't hurt either. I'll be bringing it to all of the meetings in the future, so if you want to play around with it you can.

That being said, I am very sad to be edging out of the world of ubuntu for my primary computer. I will still be using it near-exclusively on my desktop and enjoying the heck out of it. When most of your software workflows are based on open source software anyway, it can be a bit hard getting back into the swing of downloading software. Regardless the important things still work wonderfully. It is a unix base with a bash shell, so I'm not straying too far from the pack.

From the last three weeks though I have to say that linux has definitely become my favorite operating system, so all in all it was a win in my book. Now to pick up a solid state drive and see this thing really fly.

Ubuntu/Win7 January 2010:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.6GHz (from 3.2GHz)
ASUS 790X Mobo @ 2000MHz HT
G.Skill 2x2GiB DDR3 @ 9-9-9-24 1600MHz
BFG GTX 260 core 216 896MiB
Corsair 750tx 750W PSU

Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:09 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: New Laptop
nice, congrats!
I too feel that as long as bash is available I'd be more than content.

Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:04 am
Site Admin

Post Re: New Laptop
I miss being able to sudo apt-get install software :(. And as much as Apple does provide a superior out-of-box user experience (you don't have to disable compiz to run urban terror, you don't have to care if libcss is installed to rip movies, and OpenCL is always a few clicks away), this laptop isn't the most powerful computer in my life anymore, and since I've learned to take care of those issues in Ubuntu, it being a great out-of-box user experience is less valuable. That being said, there are philosophical reasons I still buy their hardware, even if I were just to run Linux on it. For instance, they are the only consumer available EFI based motherboards, and have full GPT compatibility. Despite its disadvantages, I'm still happy. Sometimes I think I should have gone with a beefier Dell and put Linux on it, but I think I'll leave that day for the future.

Ubuntu/Win7 January 2010:
AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE @ 3.6GHz (from 3.2GHz)
ASUS 790X Mobo @ 2000MHz HT
G.Skill 2x2GiB DDR3 @ 9-9-9-24 1600MHz
BFG GTX 260 core 216 896MiB
Corsair 750tx 750W PSU

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:17 am
Profile WWW